Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Breeding Persians for a living

As a breeder I have to say honestly, I truly enjoy what I do. Make no mistake breeding for a living or even on a small scale is hard work. I knew when I got into this business that it would be a lot of work but I figured the rewards would be more than worth it. There are many advantages to being a breeder especially a breeder of Persian kittens.
I enjoy the whole process of watching babies being born, it is such a beautiful experience. Every time one of my Queens gives birth, I try to be right there with her and while some Queens could care less, others love when I baby them, cooing and rubbing their bellies. I dampen and warm towels in between each birth to soothe and help ease the Queen during labor. Although not all Queens want attention, I have one who wants to be left alone and does not want anyone touching her babies and she is one of my top Queens and an excellent mother to her babies Sexy Sadie as we so named her will take on other's kittens as her own.
She is my beautiful Silver Chinchilla Shaded Persian with green eyes. I have to say her babies sell quickly. They are the most affectionate kittens out of all that are born here at Kismet Kittens.
My Queen Star is about to have a litter and she is a funny cat, she will actually come alert me right before she goes into labor. She is a stunning White Doll Face Persian with green eyes.
All my Persians carry green, blue as well as the odd eye gene. She produces some stunning kittens. Her last litter was photographed for a book.
The miracle of watching a life being born is such a joy there is nothing that can compete nor compare to it.
That is the most rewarding aspect of breeding.

Don't get me wrong there are also draw backs to breeding Persians. If you have really nice stuff you can kiss that goodbye. Every year we are replacing furniture due to the cats using our living room for a scratching post even when they have several of their own to use. Let's not forget cleaning litter boxes, feeding, bathing these are all things most people don't realize that go into breeding on a professional level.
A professional breeder has to separate and select breed their Persian cats which means building separate quarters to house and maintain aside from the main Cattery and the Nursery.
We breed our Queens once every nine months.
There are also vet bills, toys, kitty condos, flea meds, grooming supplies. A good food is vital to the overall health and well being of each Persian. Vitamins and supplements which must be given daily, needless to say the costs add up quickly.
We get requests at least a dozen times a year from other breeders, people wanting to breed and people who use to breed wanting to start back. While we offer breeding rights, we are very selective. There are some genuine folks out there that love breeding and I say more power to you however, research before you take the plunge because while playing with kittens all day long might seem like fun to you these are also living creatures that require proper care and that is where the hard work part comes in.
While it takes spending lots of time socializing new kittens and getting them ready for their forever homes there are also the adult breeding cats that need time, love and attention as well. My typical day generally starts at 4 am. and doesn't end until nightfall. In order to produce healthy, affectionate, high end Persians that is the sacrifice I as a breeder chose to make.
While my prices are exceptionally reasonable, if I were to put a dollar amount into all the work and financial cost it takes a breeder like myself because I can only speak for me ( other breeders hire people to do the dirty work ) my prices are actually low.
Every once in awhile I'll get an email or FB post from some ignorant soul who thinks I should just give them away and to quote this one jack-hole "like everybody else does".
I unleashed on her with my own brand of crazy, I told her "since she feels that I should just give my Persian kittens away because after all everyone does it and seeing how she's such a giving person then she should give me her home, car and all her jewelry".
Even the SPCA charges for their animals how rude was she to insult what I do professionally and I'm sure she thought if she throws it out there maybe just maybe she will get a free Persian.
While I generally ignore ignorants like her she kept making passive aggressive remarks every time I would post a photo, needless to say that shut her up.
Working with the public I have learned one thing and that is for as many wonderful folks there are out there that I have personally met, there is also a whole lot of crazy too.
I have made it a rule not to sell breeding rights locally, that is to anyone living in Florida.
And most of my kittens I ship out of state, I don't allow potential buyers in my home to look I only allow for pick up and only after a kitten has been reserved. I do offer to send additional photos and videos to interested buyers.


There are too many backyard breeders here and they give professional breeders a bad name.
Plus we don't want the lineage of our Persians all over the place. It takes a sincere person to breed professionally because it is a lot of work, but I love what I do and I enjoy it, which makes it much easier.

New litters coming:
We just had a litter of Golden Shaded kittens they will be ready to go April 20, 2013
We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Star's new litter.
We will be announcing the new litters as they are born.
We will be updating our website this week so check back often.
I am sure we can find you the kitten of your dreams!
Www.kismetkittens.com
Persiankittyinfo@aol.com
813-309-8418

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!